The Nigerian Oscar Selection Committee (NOSC) has announced calls for feature film entries by Nollywood filmmakers into the 93rd Academy Awards better known as Oscars.
The committee’s chair person, Chineze Anyaene said the country’s first submission in 2019 represented a pivotal moment for the industry, as the committee has witnessed a rapid rise in the quality of Nigerian films, especially in storytelling.
“We were able to make our first-ever entry submission to the Oscars for the International Feature Film Awards category as a country, and the awareness this has brought to the industry as a whole has been amazing. It has opened the industry to other markets, and we hope to see partnerships with other industries soon,” she said.
Anyaene, however, noted that this year’s submission will witness changes in rules of participation as a result of measures put in place by government to combat spread of COVID-19.
She explained that “due to guidelines and government-mandated rules to manage coronavirus spread, filmmakers have to provide to the Academy documentation (original document(s) and an English translation) of government-mandated theater/cinema closure dates, previously planned theatrical release and steaming distribution or video on demand agreements”.
It added that “eligible films have to be made available on the secure Academy Screening Room member site within 60 days of the film official selection. Films that, in any version, receive a non-theatrical public exhibition or distribution before their first qualifying release will not be eligible for consideration.”
The event is billed to hold on April 25, 2021.
The 93rd Nigerian Oscar selection committee members include Chineze Anyaene, chairperson; Mahmood Ali-Balogun, vice-chairperson; Adetokunbo Odubawo, Bruce Ayonote, Charles Novia, Ego Boyo, Mildred Okwo, Moses Babatope, Omoni Oboli, Shuaibu Husseini, Victor Okhai and Yibo Koko.