The Minister of State for Labour, Employment and Productivity, Mr Festus Keyamo, tackled members of the National Assembly on Tuesday over the National Directorate of Employment recruitment exercise.
There was mil drama after the Director-General of the NDE, Mr. Nasiru Ladan, could not defend the N52 billion budgeted for the recruitment of 774,000 Nigerians under the NDE.
The minister said his ministry was asked to supervise the recruitments by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd). But the federal lawmakers disagreed with Keyamo.
Recall That TheNEwsGuru (TNG) had earlier reported that Keyamo accused some political leaders for trying to hijack the 774,000 Special Public Works Programme recently approved by president Muhammadu Buhari from him.
The Minister disclosed this while speaking in Abuja yesterday at the inauguration of state selection committees of the federal government’s public works programme.
He said the 20-member Committees in 36 States and the FCT will select the 1000 persons per LGA that would be engaged by the FG in the Special Public Works Programme.
Mr Keyamo however warned the state chairmen of the committees not to compromise on the objective of the initiative which aimed at giving the opportunity to the vulnerable people.
He assured the people that nobody will stop him from doing the right thing and that nobody will take the job from him except President Buhari who appointed him.
According to Keyamo, “There have been attempts at blackmailing me in this particular programme too to make us also yield to political leaders and we have said no – not while I am here.
“I have a pedigree, I have a background, I have where I am coming from. Before I came into public office, I have a pedigree and what I stand for.
“Except Mr. President, who appointed me stops me, and who gave me the opportunity and rare privilege to drive this programme, except he stops me, no other political leader or person can stop me. I am answerable only to Mr. President,” he said.