There was pandemonium in Osun State yesterday following the death of two protesters in Osogbo.
Osun State Governor, Gboyega Oyetola, who was at the scene of the incident was reportedly whisked away from the protest ground after some persons in the crowd pelted stones towards his direction.
Two persons reportedly died.
Suspected hoodlums on Saturday attacked Osogbo City Mall, vandalised shops and stole electronic gadgets, phones and laptops.
Witnesses told revealed that the hoodlums stormed the mall on motorcycles at about 7pm, forcing security guards and shops owners to run for safety.
One of the witnesses said that the fierce approach of the hoodlums sent everyone in the mall running for safety.
He said that the hoodlums came in large numbers and had a free day, as no policeman or any other security personnel intervened to save the situation.
“They rode on over 20 motorcycles with about three passengers each on the bikes, and they came with dangerous weapons.
“The private security guards at the mall had to run for safety, because they didn’t carry arms.
“The hoodlums destroyed the glass doors of the electronics stores within the mall and carted away phones, laptops and other items,” the witness said.
There were also reports of arson at a public facility in Osogbo, allegedly carried out by the hoodlums.
The Police spokesperson in the state, SP Opalola Yemisi, confirmed the incident and said that efforts were on to bring the situation under control and arrest the perpetrators.
A video of the looting of JusRite Electronic Stores was shared on Twitter:
Attack on Oyetola Was Assassination Attempt, Says Osun Govt
Meanwhile, Osun State Government has described the attack on Oyetola as an assassination attempt.
Governor Oyetola had narrowly escaped on Saturday when he was attacked by armed thugs while addressing the #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo.
Armed with cutlasses and sticks the hoodlums swooped in on the governor at Olaiya junction, while he was addressing the #EndSARS protesters in the state capital.
The governor was immediately ferried away from the scene by his security details but vehicles in his convoy were damaged as the hoodlums threw stones at the governor’s convoy.
Speaking on the incident, the Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Mrs Funke Egbemode, who was also at the scene of the incident, said the attack was beyond the #EndSARS protest, but a premeditated attempt to take the governor out.
The Commissioner said: “It was an assassination attempt. This was certainly beyond the #EndSARS protest. The people who launched the attack were not protesters at all.
“Protests have been going on in the state for some days now, and there had been no attack on any government official since the beginning of the protest.
“However, today’s attack changed the narrative. It was not a spontaneous attempt. The attackers had it all planned. They had guns and other weapons. In fact, it was a woman who smashed the windscreen of the vehicle of the Secretary to the State Government, Prince Wole Oyebamiji where I was.
“It is really sad that these people infiltrated the ranks of the peaceful protesters and took advantage of the Governor’s walk with the youths to execute their sinister intentions.
“It was simply a street coup to take out the Governor, his Deputy and the Secretary to the State Government, all of whom were exposed during the protest and had to be smuggled into vehicles when the attack was launched”.