As Nigerians remain desperate to know the winners of the March 18 elections held throughout the nation, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has, so far, released the governorship election results of 12 States and 16 more are yet to be declared by the commission.
TheNewsGuru.com (TNG) reports that the governorship election was held in 28 states of the federation.
Millions of voters headed to the polls on Saturday (March 18, 2023) to choose their governors and state house of assembly members for a new four-year term.
This was after a dramatic round of presidential and National Assembly elections on February 28, 2023.
After issues of non-uploading of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) from the polling units and IReV was raised, INEC, last Saturday, took centre stage for the conduct of governorship and state house of assembly polls across the country.
The state-centred elections were initially scheduled for March 11 but the fallout of the federal elections set back the reconfiguration of the BVAS devices, prompting a one-week delay.
Amid hopes of a hitch-free exercise, Nigerians finally trooped out to various polling units to cast their votes for their candidates of choice.
According to INEC, a total of 87.2 million were eligible to vote, having collected their permanent voter cards (PVCs).
Of the 36 states, governorship polls were held in 28, namely Abia, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Enugu, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, Niger, Ogun, Oyo, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe, and Zamfara.
As for the state legislatures, all 36 states are the home bases of thousands competing for 993 state house of assembly seats.
TheNewsGuru.com (TNG) keeps an eye on INEC’s declaration of winners and announcement of results, to feed it’s esteemed readers with updates.
See updates on events, winners and results below:
- Governor Abdullahi Sule was announced as the winner of the Nasarawa State governorship election. The Returning Officer of the governorship election, Professor Tanko Ishaya, declares that Sule (APC) polled 347,209 to beat his closest contender, David Ombugadu (PDP) who got 283,016 votes.
- The battle for political control of Kano State in Nigeria’s North-West between the APC and NNPP was settled with the declaration of Yusuf Kabir (NNPP) as the governor-elect. Kabir was declared winner of the keenly contested poll by INEC, scoring 1,019,602 votes to defeat his closest contender, Nasir Gawuna of the APC who polled 890,705 votes.
- INEC declares Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu winner of Lagos State governorship election. The incumbent governor polled a total of 762,134 votes, defeating Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour of the Labour Party who scored 312,329 votes, followed by Abdul-Azeez Adediran aka Jandor with 62,449 votes.
- In the Niger State governorship elections, 23 out of 25 LGAs have been announced by Prof Clement Alawa, the state Returning Officer. APC has won in 17 LGAs, while PDP triumphed in five. The remaining three LGAs, Mashegu, Rijau and Shiroro are yet to be submitted.
- The collation of results for the Enugu State governorship election continues on Monday morning. INEC steps down results from two LGAs, citing irregularities.
- APC wins 9 Of 12 LGAs, as INEC postpones final result announcement In Ebonyi State till 10 am today, March 20.
- INEC issues a form to recompile the governorship election results for some areas in the Fufore Local Government Area (LGA) of Adamawa State.
- Labour Party (LP). Kevin Chukwu unseats Nnamani, wins Enugu East Senate Post. The LP candidate defeated incumbent Nnamani of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
- APC governorship candidate in Katsina State, Dr. Dikko Radda, declared the winner of Saturday’s election. Radda scored 859,892 votes to defeat his closest opponent, Senator Yakubu Danmarke, of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) who polled a total of 486,620
- INEC declares the incumbent Governor of Yobe State, Mai Mala Buni as the winner of the 2023 governorship election in the state.
- Governor Inuwa Yahaya of Gombe State in North-East Nigeria and the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the March 18, 2023 governorship election has been declared winner of the poll.
- 26-Year-Old Rukayat Shittu Wins Kwara Assembly Seat.
- INEC Declares APC’s Umar Namadi of APC as Jigawa Gov-Elect. Namadi scored 618, 449 votes to beat the PDP candidate Sule Lamido who had 368,726 ballots. NNNP’s Aminu Ringim got 37, 156 votes.
- Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State has been reelected for another four-year term. The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate polled 273,424 to defeat his closest opponents — Abdullah Yahman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who scored 155,490 and Hakeem Lawal of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) who got 18,922 votes.
- Dapo Abiodun Of APC defeats Adebutu, re-elected Ogun Governor
- INEC declares the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Akwa Ibom State, Umo Eno, as the winner of the March 18 governorship poll in the state.
- PDP’s Seyi Makinde re-elected as Oyo Governor
- APC wins 26 seats out of 27 seats in Imo State House of Assembly election, as INEC declares Ahiazu Mbaise state constituency election inconclusive.
RIVERS STATE GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION RESULTS
ADAMAWA STATE GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION RESULTS
APC – 14,172
PDP – 18,427
LP – 46
SDP – 422
LP – 46
SDP – 422
APC – 19,665
PDP – 19,866
LP – 36
SDP – 59
APC – 12,589
LP – 12
SDP – 1,136
APC – 21,605
PDP – 17,883
LP – 22
SDP – 69
APC – 11,798
PDP – 22,958
LP – 84
SDP – 146.
APC – 9,376
PDP – 19,104
LP – 97
SDP – 126
MUBI NORTH LGA
APC – 32,342
PDP – 17,469
JIGAWA STATE GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION RESULTS
APC 25, 115
BIRNIN KUDU LG
APC 33, 027
PDP 35, 517
MALA MADORI LG
APC 20, 538