APC’s convention planning committee chairman, Senator Hope Uzodinma has given indications that the party would come up with a consensus candidate before the primaries proper later on Tuesday.
Senator Uzodinma was speaking in an interview with Channels TV on the convention ground in Abuja.
According to the Imo State Governor, it is in the character of the APC to have a gentleman agreement and come up with one person to contest elections and expressed belief that the current effort to produce a sellable and generally acceptable candidate would succeed.
He described President Muhammadu Buhari as a capable leader who can steer the party’s ship to safety and in the end, give the party a candidate that would win for it in next year’s election.
He refused to commit to whether there was someone already being favoured above others, saying his responsibility at the exercise is to ensure a hitch free process.
Meanwhile, aspirants from the South-East have written a letter to the President Muhammadu Buhari to allow the South-East produce the next presidential candidate of the party.
The aspirants urged Buhari to intervene during the convention for “proper guidance”.
The letter was signed by Ikeobasi Mokelu, former ministers of Science, Technology and Innovation, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu; state for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, and Mrs. Ken Uju-Ohanenye.
Senator Rochas Okorocha was listed among signatories but didn’t append his signature.
Read full letter:
We the undersigned, who are aspirants to the Office of President on the platform of our party the APC. write to commend your fatherly leadership of our country and our party.
2. We also commend your unequivocal approval of the position of the 14 Progressive governors from Northern Nigeria, to ensure that your successor is elected from the southern part of Nigeria.
We also commend the governors for this patriotic and unifying stand. United we stand – Our unity in diversity has been the rallying point of all patriots.
3. Your Excellency. we most humbly request that this position of our brothers from the North be deepened and made even more wholesome by further zoning this position to the South-East.
4. We are all aware that no President can emerge without the support of various geopolitical zones and without the express collaboration of our brothers and sisters from other zones of Nigeria.
5. With our Convention at hand, your kind directive for the deepening of unity in diversity, championed by our founding fathers solely on the basis of strengthening national unity and cohesion and for rousing victory at the 2023 elections are stated objectives in your speeches to the Progressive governors forum, the APC aspirants dinner and the meeting of APC stakeholders.
6. Furthermore. we are humbly requesting that you consider and pick your chosen candidate from the South-East aspirants in line with your stated objectives of handing over to trusted party loyalists.
7. We humbly seek your Excellency’s prompt and kind intervention to enable the party delegates to assume proper guidance.
8. Please accept as always. our continuing loyalty and assurances of our esteem regards and obedience to whichever candidate your Excellency deems fit and appropriate to adopt as the candidate of the part