Nine years after Boko Haram abducted 276 students Chibok school girls, members of the community in Borno State has said since the abduction, 37 parents of the missing girls have died of heartbreak.
A parent of one of the girls, Pogu Yaga who stated this said most of the parents, especially those whose children are still in captivity are slowly dying from worry and heartbreak.
He said this yesterday in Abuja at the media screening of ‘Nine Years, Life after Chibok Abduction,’ a movie by the Women Radio who visited Chibok and spoke to a survivor, parents, and siblings on life after the abduction.
He said, “37 parents have died so far. When you come to Chibok, you would see that they are all dying from worry and heartbreak.
“Thank God that the former governor of our state, Kashim Shettima is the present Vice-President-elect, we are calling on him and pleading for the rescue of the remaining girls as he tried doing during his tenure as governor.
“We trust in the President-Elect Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, he has always been there for us and we know that we would not be abandoned now.”
Chief Executive Connected Development (CODE), Hamzat Lawal said it was unfortunate that the government had abdicated its responsibilities to civil societies and individuals.
Lawal said we must continue to hold the government accountable to its responsibilities.
Founder Invictus, Bukky Shonibare said the conversation with the incoming administration has to be based on a nine-point agenda.
According to her, the points are, to make them communicate with the parents of the abducted girls and of Leah Sharibu, accountability in terms of money allocated and spent on the Chibok incident, accountability on the missing girls themselves, the victims’ support fund and what it is used for and the level of psychosocial support available to the girls and their families.
The agenda also includes, modalities that have been put in place as a result of the Chibok incident to avoid a repeat of such incidents, accountability in terms of the abduction, a public statement on the missing girls nine years after and a discussion on the safe school initiative.
On April 14, 2014, the Boko Haram terrorists abducted 276 girls from the dormitory of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok.
They had rushed in on motorcycles and bicycles and began to open fire on residents of the village.
They created widespread panic, burnt down houses and destroyed other valuable assets, and then seizing the girls from the boarding school.
According to report, So far, 178 of the girls have escaped but sadly, many of them suffered serious violations as they returned home traumatised, some with children sired by Boko Haram terrorists.