he highly anticipated Chatham House interview of the Labour Party Presidential candidate, Peter Obi, which was streamed live from London on Monday to over 60, 000 viewers, has continued to trend on social media, with many describing his performance as outstanding.
Flanked by his running mate, Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed, Obi who was garbed in a simple-styled black outfit addressed a large crowd outside the Chatham House, before his scheduled interview, assuring that the dream Nigeria was possible with the collective efforts of every Nigerian.
He later used the opportunity of the interview to speak to a global audience about his vision for policy and governance reforms in Nigeria, including the priorities for tackling deep-rooted insecurity and corruption, and measures to promote social and political mobility for Nigerian citizens.
Below are 10 timeless quotes culled from his speech during the interview:
- “We would use merit to employ, dramatically reduce poverty and return Nigeria to a place of strategic relevance with high value”.
- “We will facilitate stronger institutions, a key anchor that will turn Nigeria from a country of oil consumption to a country that produces based on fast factors”.
- “Insecurity is a result of ineffective security strategy, address this by projecting strong leadership, state security and pursue a robust reform of security sector”.
- “Emphasise from consumption to production which is driven by agrarian revolution and export industrialisation, build dams for export and revenue generation”
- “Borrowing must be for productive purposes, not consumption…enhance human capital development in our youths through investment in education, research and quality health”
- “Pursue a compulsory technical education, digital skills from primary to secondary level, prioritise funding of the artificial sector, data science and blockchain. Our higher institutions will be renovated as research centres”
- “I will conduct an Afro-centric policy that will protect the rights of Nigerians abroad, advance the rights of Nigerians businesses abroad”
- “The problem of Nigeria is based on complex leadership… lead Nigeria for an inclusive and sustaining Nigeria that works for all”
- “Nigeria’s resources will be most prudently used for Nigeria”
- “As commander in Chief of Nigeria, I pledge our part to pursue policies that sustain inclusive growth and development”
BONUS QUOTE: “If I am elected president, people will be proud to use the green passport again”.