A Nigerian lady who just returned from the United Kingdom has tested positive for coronavirus in Lagos and is currently in isolation.
Recall TheNewsGuru had earlier reported that Lagos State Ministry of Health announced the third case on Tuesday.
According to the ministry, the 30-year-old lady came to the country on March 13.
Following this new development, the new carrier has been profiled as the first female victim of Coronavirus in Nigerian female; a few days ago, a 70-year-old woman suspected to be infected with the Coronavirus in Enugu state but she tested negative for the virus.
The new case in Lagos, who is presently under isolation at Mainland General Hospital is believed to have caught the virus in the UK.
The ministry said contact tracing of passengers and others who may have come in contact with the patient has commenced.
Third case of #COVID19NIGERIA confirmed in Lagos.
– This is a new case independent of the index case
– 30 year old Nigerian, female
– Returned from the UK on 13th March
– Observed self-Isolation, developed symptoms
– Tested positive
– Now at Mainland GH receiving care pic.twitter.com/f8osZk4Ba4
— LSMOH (@LSMOH) March 17, 2020Advertisement
This is happening at a time the federal government has heightened measured on travellers, just on Monday the Nigerian authority said travellers coming into the country from France, Germany, and Spain would undergo a secondary screening and a self-isolation for 14 days.
“Following the declaration of a pandemic and increasing spread in countries, we carried out a review of our case definition. We have added three new countries to the existing list of five high-risk countries with widespread community transmission. These are France, Germany, and Spain. Therefore, eight countries are on our priority list- China, Japan, Iran, Italy, Republic of Korea, France and Germany.” Says Minister of Health for State, Mr Olorunbe Mamora